One of the main goals in kitchen remodeling is to make sure that the space is not only visually appealing, but also functional as well. Maximizing space into efficient, accessible storage continues to be a popular endeavor in the ever-evolving world of kitchen design and remodeling.
Kitchen Design for Storage
If you are looking to remodel your kitchen, make sure to discuss storage options with your contractor. Many small kitchens will need strategic design to maximize storage space for a functional and visually pleasing kitchen. Keeping items on your kitchen counter causes any type of kitchen, large or small to look cluttered and cramped. The key to creating a spacious kitchen is to have a home for each item, whether that is in a drawer, cabinet or pantry. When you are thinking about your kitchen’s theme and design, consider the features that will create more space such as:
- A kitchen island with built-in drawers beneath
- Refrigerator drawers rather than a standard refrigerator for a sleeker, modern look
- Wine storage
- Pantry with shelves
- Additional storage such as an armoire
Best Kitchen Features For Ultimate Organization
When you are ready for maximizing your kitchen’s space during a kitchen remodel, consider a few of these options:
- Pot rack – Rather than storing your pots and pans in a drawer that takes up a lot of space, use a rack above a kitchen island.
- Armoire – These are decorative and also can store many items inside such as linens, napkins, etc.
- Narrow cabinets – These are good for baking sheets or other narrow items.
- Open shelving around the kitchen – Store items not often used on a high shelf a little below the ceiling.
- Pull out cabinets – saves space for items such as dish towels, etc.
- Customized storage – shelving that is designed to perfectly fit all your baking dishes, aprons, and other utensils.
Make the Most of Your Cabinet Space
Cabinets come in many shapes and sizes. Choosing your cabinet materials, as well as the style will depend upon the theme you are going for and how you like display your dinnerware. If you like to hide your dinnerware, then closed cabinets will suite you; however, a popular options for those who love to organize and keep their kitchen looking clean and fresh may enjoy a more open display such as:
- Glass kitchen cabinets – This shelving creates a charming display of your dinnerware and compliments a classic or cottage designed kitchen.
- Open shelving –This option is great for those who like to organize their kitchen utensils and dinnerware for easy access.
Make the Most of Your Pantry Storage
Pantries are one of the best places to store all the food items, kitchen tools and more that you don’t want on display in your kitchen. To create an optimal storage space, there are numerous tricks you can use to make the most of your space.
- Shelving – Maximize your space with shelving that is perfect for fitting cans of food and extra kitchen supplies like paper towels, dish sponges, etc.
- Adhesive hooks – Use these on the wall or door to hang oven mitts, aprons, measuring cups, etc.
- Lazy Susan – Do you lose track of your spices? Use a lazy Susan or spice rack for organization and convenience.
We hope these kitchen design and features give you a better idea of what you may want in your future kitchen remodeling revamp.